May 14, 2008

Monkey's & Bribes

Well, it's been a few days since our last update and we're having a blast. On Monday, we decided to walk in the old town section of Playa. The first stop we found was a Starbucks with a curious group out front. A group that fights to save the habitat of squirrel monkeys had set-up shop outside the store. They had a small group of monkeys and for a small donation, you could have your picture taken with the monkeys. While I imagined the monkeys would sit next to you for the photo...I was a little surprised to have them sitting on my head. One of them actually started to chew on my hair and groom me like I was there father. What can I say, animals love me. The rest of the day was spent shopping and relaxing on the beach.


Tuesday was an adventure to itself. We decided to visit the small town of Porto Morales just north of Playa. E's parents knew about a restaurant for breakfast run by an American. We visited the shop and had a wonderful breakfast. The owner had moved to Mexico from Kansas City and made a decent living catering to US and European tourists. E's parents were interested in purchasing tiles so the shop owner gave them the address for a tile shop just north of Porto. During our trip to and from the the tile shop, we were pulled over twice and asked for bribes to facilitate our release. Gotta love the good old release facilitation!!! After that, we decided we needed some beach time to relax.


Today was a day for complete relaxation. Nothing but bumming on the beach with fruity drinks. Tomorrow we may head to Cozumel...but we aren't pushing it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am sure the bona fide scientist and the bona fide manager were able to talk your way out of paying bribes!!!